2009 Worst Year for Lawyer Headcount in 3 Decades, Says 'NLJ 250' Survey

, The National Law Journal

   | 4 Comments

The United States' largest law firms this year suffered the deepest cuts in their attorney numbers since The National Law Journal began tracking the figures more than 30 years ago. The total number of attorneys working at the top 250 law firms plunged by 5,259 lawyers. Put another way, it's as if all of the lawyers working at two firms the size of Jones Day vanished in 2009.

This content has been archived. It is available exclusively through our partner LexisNexis®.

To view this content, please continue to Lexis Advance®.

Continue to Lexis Advance®

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber? Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® is now the exclusive third party online distributor of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® customers will be able to access and use ALM's content by subscribing to the LexisNexis® services via Lexis Advance®. This includes content from the National Law Journal®, The American Lawyer®, Law Technology News®, The New York Law Journal® and Corporate Counsel®, as well as ALM's other newspapers, directories, legal treatises, published and unpublished court opinions, and other sources of legal information.

ALM's content plays a significant role in your work and research, and now through this alliance LexisNexis® will bring you access to an even more comprehensive collection of legal content.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at customercare@alm.com

What's being said

  • encodename;

    encodecomment;

  • griff77

    I would be interested to read how many law firms have simply ceased to exist and how many lawyers are no longer employed because of this.

  • Lex Emeritus

    The herd thins itself. Shut down all law schools for the next 10 years and maybe balance will be restored. Here in L.A. the going rate for top-tier bar members is $20/hr, right where it should be. Lawyers produce nothing except problems.

  • Publicus

    For the first time it is the elite 5% at the top that is suffering in an economic downturn. Too bad, so sad...but the other 95% of the profession is in no way feeling sorry for them. Call it schadenfreude or whatever but it is refreshing to see the White Shoe types and their grossly overpaid associates being brought back down to the real world.

Comments are not moderated. To report offensive comments, click here.

Preparing comment abuse report for Article #1202435276422

Thank you!

This article's comments will be reviewed.