Post-Sandy Hook Gun Laws to Reach Justices Days After Orlando Shooting

Second Circuit upheld Connecticut restrictions on military-style rifles. But justices haven't shown a recent interest in gun cases.

, The National Law Journal


With the worst mass shooting in American history in the background, the U.S. Supreme Court on June 16 will take its first look at a challenge to Connecticut's ban on military-style firearms. But as past actions show, the justices may have little interest in revisiting Second Amendment disputes, including the regulation of the AR-15-style weapon reportedly used in the Orlando shootings that killed at least 50 people at a night club.

This content has been archived. It is available exclusively through our partner LexisNexis®.

To view this content, please continue to Lexis Advance®.

Continue to Lexis Advance®

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber? Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® is now the exclusive third party online distributor of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® customers will be able to access and use ALM's content by subscribing to the LexisNexis® services via Lexis Advance®. This includes content from the National Law Journal®, The American Lawyer®, Law Technology News®, The New York Law Journal® and Corporate Counsel®, as well as ALM's other newspapers, directories, legal treatises, published and unpublished court opinions, and other sources of legal information.

ALM's content plays a significant role in your work and research, and now through this alliance LexisNexis® will bring you access to an even more comprehensive collection of legal content.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at

What's being said

  • W. Earp

    To Jos. R. Walsh: The Founders didn‘t have gay marriage in mind, either, nor abortion, welfare, income and capital gains taxes, and myriad more modern-day norms. And the "Zombie Attack" you reference has already arrived in the form of haplessly indolent Bernie supporters who want everything for free and Black Lives Matter activists who want to make it socially and legally acceptable for fatherless super-predators to loot, commit arson and violently resist arrest.

  • Jos. R. Walsh

    The Law needs to be Real. Too many have Realy been attacked and have Really died on the Wrong End of the AR-15. Thompson in dissent says ‘... and many hunters...‘, Really? What exactly is One Hunting that a Semi-automatic Rifle with a 30-Round clip is needed? Bambi is just not that ferocious. Home-Defense, an AR-15? For Defense aginst some kind of Zombie Attack, I suppose? No, the Founders did not have theAR-15 in mind at Conception of 2nd Amendment.

  • W. Earp

    Only stable folks with guns can stop psychos with guns. Let‘s exercise our Second Amendment right to defend ourselves, America, and civility and manners will make a comeback.

  • EyesOpen

    I don‘t know what I find more disgusting when reading of these cowardly acts-committed by sick twisted @

  • Dave Abbott

    1. The police are heroes, not superheroes. They can rarely respond in time to save anyone. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Criminal Victimization in the United States - Statistical Tables, Table 107: Percent distribution of incidents where police came to the victim, Averages of all years 1996 to 2007: Aggravated Assault -- Police Response per Percent of Incidents Under 6 min. = 31.37% 6 to 11 min. = 28.40% Total of Under 6 min. and 6 to 11 min. = 59.77%Household burglary (elsewhere in the study the FBI asserts that 60% of all rapes are coincident to this crime) -- Police Response per Percent of Incidents Under 6 min. = 11.13% 6 to 11 min. = 20.23% Total of Under 6 min. and 6 to 11 min. = 31.36%In the State Attorney‘s report for Sandy Hook, the timeline says the police arrived in just over three minutes, but they did not enter the front door until 9 minutes later (5 minutes after the shooter was dead). 9:35:39 - First 911 call to Newtown PD received.9:39:00 - First Newtown officer arrives (satisfies FBI‘s statistical criteria for "Response")9:39:13 - Two more Newtown officers arrive. 9:40:03 -Shooter kills himself.9:44:47 - Newtown officers enter. Banning the ability for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves in their homes with the best possible means creates a situation where criminals through their anti-social behavior can remove barriers to committing more heinous crimes (especially forcible rape) with greater frequency. 2. Your "154 rounds in less than five minutes" is not strictly correct. Some of the rounds were fired outside before the 911 call. Nowhere in any official source is the number 154 used except as a page number in the last: "Report of the State’s Attorney ..." by Stephen J. Sedensky III, State’s Attorney, 11/25/2013Sandy Hook Advisory Commission Interim Report, 3/18/2013Final Report Of The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission, 2/13/20153. Citing the Brady Campaign as our only non-case source makes your article suspect for bias.

Comments are not moderated. To report offensive comments, click here.

Preparing comment abuse report for Article #1202759877916

Thank you!

This article's comments will be reviewed.